Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our New Home: Kailua



Wow! I (Janell) finally arrived to Hawaii on Saturday. After a first class flight from Sioux Falls to Minneapolis, then an 8 1/2 hr flight from Minneapolis to Honolulu, I was here. I was reunited with my husband! The beauty of the mountains and ocean stole my attention as we drove from the west side (Honolulu) to the east side of the island (Kailua). I soon realized, "I am definitely not in Iowa anymore." No more cornfields or flat roads that go on for miles. That is okay though, It is good to experience another part of God's creation. And where better than Hawaii?!





Here are some pictures of our living quarters: One bedroom cottage.
We also have two outdoor patios ("lanais").











So, what have we done since we have been here so far?

Went to the beach:

Had a relaxing evening with a cheap glass of wine:

Let's just say it took some creativity to get a bottle of wine opened without a bottle opener!




Swept our Lanai:




And enjoyed a good night of grilling and "real" food:


The Grill Master:



Here are some FAQ I will address:

What is the weather like?

-80-85 degrees and sunny. It usually rains every day for about 10 minutes a day. There are occasional windy days, depending on the trade winds. The most windy months of the year are June-Junly. Today the winds were in the 20-25mph range.

What are the people like there?

-Laid back, less hurried than we are used to. You rarely see people on their cell phones. In fact, I got in trouble for using my phone on my 1.5hr bus commute home from my job interview on Monday. Who knew!?

-Let's also say for the record that blond hair, blue eye women are few and far between in this area. Ben does tower over a majority of the population here, but his looks fit this culture more than mine do.

So that's all for now! I had a job interview on Monday and hope to hear something Wednesday about if I got the job or not.

Continue to pray for us and this huge transition we have made. It is great here and every day is feeling more and more like "home" to us. ~GOD IS GOOD, ALL THE TIME!~

Our address: 256 Aumoe Road, Kailua, Hawaii 96734

No comments:

Post a Comment