Monday, May 31, 2010

Updates

So its been over a week and a half since Ben has left for Hawaii. The first few days were quite rough. Moving to a new place you have never been to before without your spouse can make things quite difficult. Things were quite lonely for Ben, but he was able to stay with our friend Heidi and her husband for the first night. Their support and encouragment has been a huge help to us. They even let him borrow their car for a few days while Ben went apartment shopping. He was able to find a one bedroom cottage a mile or so from Castle Med Center after a couple days of being on the island and was able to move in almost immediately. It is completely furnished, which is exactly what we need. The location and the quieter atomsphere lead us choose to live in Kailua verses Honolulu.

Ben has enjoyed his work so far, which is a reief. It reminded us why he moved down there. This past week Ben has been in the classroom taking a crash course in Human Anatomy and Phys, Med Term, and ER stuff. This challenge was a welcome surprise for Ben. He had a few intense days of classes and successfully passed his final exam on Sunday! Today he officially started working in the ER. He is to shadow a medical scribe for 40 hours this week and hopefully be on his own next week! He is the only "full timer" working out of 10 other scribes so he gets to choose his shifts for the schedule.

I am planning on moving down sometime this weekend :) I got an incredible offer from a highschool friend, (Whitney) to use her "buddy pass." This means I don't need to plan my flight much in advance and it is significantly cheaper than regular tickets. We are also able to then save our $400 voucher for a trip back. Ben was able to talk to a nurse manager on a floor that I applied to at Castle and she was going to call me sometime this week to discuss my experience. She told Ben they usually hire "experienced" nurses on the Telemetry floor to which I applied, but that she would call me anyway. Otherwise, we have found that they are much more apt to hire you if you are currently down there and actively following up on your applications in person. So we will continue to pray that I find a job quickly after I arrive there. Otherwise, I may have to resort to serving drinks on the beach :).

Those are just a few updates since Ben has moved down. I am really enjoying living with my parents/family, but also am excited to see him soon. I pray that my flights and move down go well, or at least smoother than Ben's did. It will be so good to be back together and see this new place we will call "home" for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment